"But these things I plan for you won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed." Habakkuk 2:3

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Happy White Day!

So today, I thought I'd give you all a lesson in Korean holidays that I find quite obscure. Today is White Day, after all.

The first holiday you all know, but it's celebrated a little bit differently in Korea. The day is celebrated February 14th, and is known as 잘렌타인 데이 (Valentine's Day). Valentine's Day in Korea is celebrated by the girls giving their significant others gifts, and girls do not traditionally receive anything on this day.

The next holiday is celebrated exactly one month later on March 14th. This holiday is known as 화이트데이 (White Day). This day is celebrated by guys now giving the girls gifts. Some people go seriously crazy during this holiday treating these Korean girls like princesses (not that they ask for anything less!).

The final holiday in this series is celebrated exactly one month later on April 14th. This holiday is called 블랙데이 (BLACK Day). Black day is a "celebration" for singles, if you can really call it that. Basically, it's for all those who didn't participate in VDay or White day because you are without a significant other. Black day is celebrated by going out with your single friends and eating 짜장면 JaJangMyun (black noodles).

So that's it for today's culture lesson on Korean holidays for couples and singles. Enjoy white day today, and for all you singles out there, get ready for April 14th!

2 comments:

Mark C said...

Thanks for the cultural lesson Miss Corley! Enjoyed it. I like the Holiday story idea. I think I will celebrate April 15th as Black Day over here. I will wear a black arm band to signify my mourning of the death of my hard earned money getting buried in the IRS crypt. Love, Padre'

amymichelle said...

love the info sister! keep up the cultural lessons. I'm excited to talk soon, I have some fun craft things to tell you about. love you!