"But these things I plan for you won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed." Habakkuk 2:3

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Oh Korea, How I love you :)

Helllloooooooo from the far reaches of Eastern Asia! It's like 5am, and I am not asleep (obviously)...... oh, jet lag. I made it safely to Seoul at about 6:30pm Wed (Like 3am ya'lls time). Customs was a breeze to go through, which I was so thankful for! I made friends with a Korean girl who helped me get around the airport. Which I was grateful for since I had no idea how to get around that airport. You have to take one of those trams to get to baggage claim, so I was grateful she was so nice and showed me around. John, the guy who hired me and April, my roommate were there waiting for me as soon as I got out of customs, and thankfully they had a big enough car to bring all my many bags!

It took about an hour to get to our apt from the airport, but we finally made it around 8pm. Can I just say that my apt is tiny tiny tiny! But I love it, it's so homey and little. I did get a surprise when I got here though. A fellow CCA teacher is staying with us right now for the time being until her apt is ready next week! So, it's pretty crammed in here, and I wasn't really able to unpack because her stuff is still in my room. It's all good though, the Lord is just teaching me flexibility early :)

Right when we got to our apt, we met John's wife, Amy and they live on the 2nd floor of our apt building. She is pregnant, and her due date was last Wed, so she definitely looks close to popping! They are SOOO nice though, and Amy offered to take me shopping today to get the rest of the things I need, pregnant and all.

After we met Amy, April and I took a taxi to the other side of Suwon to meet Erik, a friend from DBU who will be Cameron and Anthony's roommate. They live in pretty much the nicest apt complex in Suwon, so it makes our apt look pretty ghetto, but I love it! Sorry I don't have pictures yet, but I wanted to wait until I got my room put together this afternoon. April and Erik took me to the grocery store, and I was able to get some Coke Light... haha. I'm so addicted. However, for this 6 pack of tiny Coke Light cans, it was a whopping $3.50. I am slowly learning that living here is veryyyy expensive. I also was able to buy a phone to go with my vonage set, so now you can call me at the local 817 number. Just remember that I am 15 hours ahead, so try not to call me in the middle of the night! But who knows, maybe jet lag will keep me up like it is now.

Some observations about South Korea so far:
1. Koreans do not pay attention to where they're walking. I swear I would've gotten run over by like 4 shopping carts in the grocery store if I hadn't of gotten out of the way. Also, no one pays attention where they're walking in the streets. A girl definitely charged right into Erik tonight, it was quite funny.
2. There are quite a few white people here... it's funny though because they all want to talk to you. Most are also English teachers, but I would say that most English teachers do not have a good reputation among Koreans because the majority just come here to party, and teach English on the side.

I think that's all I have for now.... I'll try to put up pictures later!

In Him,
Ash

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

It sounds like you're off to a good start! sorry I missed you before you left. My heart is with you!

chelsea said...

i cant wait to see your apt. glad things are going well. i want to visit!!

allye said...

Ashley! I'm sad I didn't get to see you one last time before you took off, but it sounds like you are already having such a neat time. I am so excited to be hearing about what's going on there...such a cool adventure for you!

i want to visit with chelsea.
much love!