"But these things I plan for you won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed." Habakkuk 2:3

Friday, July 16, 2010

It's hard to say goodbye

I had to say goodbye to my kids today. Thankfully, I was able to tell them that I was leaving. Before, they were just going to send a letter home with them which I thought was shady shady.

Anyway, It was a short day, only until 12. Normally, this would make me very happy, but today I just wanted to savor every giggle, every snuggle, every "Teacher Ashooly," every smile. I found myself just staring at these children and thinking about how beautiful they were and how special God made them. It has been more than a privilege to share my time with these precious children.

My coteacher, Sunny, and I didn't even make it one minute before we were both crying when we told them. She asked me to say some last words to my kids, and I couldn't even get anything out. It's a kind of goodbye I've never had to do before. The one where it's goodbye forever. I think I sputtered out the words "I've loved being your teacher, I'll miss you, and I love you..." but no other words would come. I had two kids that cried the whole rest of the class. One of them was a boy that I often questioned whether or not he even liked me. I guess he was impacted greater than I would've ever known.

My prayer is that they learned something from me. That I represented the love of Christ by loving on them each day.

I'm really going to miss their free spirits and unconditional love. I'm going to miss the way their little hands feel in mine, and the way that they giggle at the silliest things.

I'm also really going to miss my coteacher, Jisun. Like she always says, "we share the same heart for our children"... She has loved on me and taken care of me, encouraged me, and looked past my many mistakes and shortcomings as a teacher. I love her, and will greatly miss her friendship. I hope she will come visit me in Texas soon!

I only have a week and a half left. So much to do, and all I want to do is play with all these wonderful people that I will miss so much! Please pray that I have a VERY productive weekend :)

Mom, Dad, and Amy, see you in Hawaii in 12 days!

2 comments:

Mark C said...

Great post my bright and shining teacher Ash.. Your post reminded me of "Time In A Bottle" by Jim Croce. The song says a lot of great things about the value of time. The bottom line of the song to me is we choose who we will spend our time with and what we will do with it. You chose to spend time with the kids and people of S. Korea, and you've "saved everyday like a treasure" by embracing the people, pics and blogs. Awesome! Love ya

Melinda Reed said...

Soooo proud of you Ashley! Only time will tell all that God did in your heart and in the lives of others. You are an inspiration to me.

Love you!