"But these things I plan for you won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed." Habakkuk 2:3

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Closing A Chapter

The "Korea" chapter is coming to a close. I feel like it's going to be a part of my life that I look back on one day and think to myself, "did that really happen?"

I really am going to miss this place, but I know it's definitely time for me to go home. Everything about the decision to return to the States feels completely right. I finally feel a peace that has been so unfamiliar to me. These 18 months in the far East have been the hardest times in my short 23 years, but it's through these times that I learned the most. I feel like I've really gotten to know me. The me who exists outside of the identity I found in my college, my friends, and my family. I also figured out the me I don't want to be. The me who is so consumed in a relationship that once was; the me who can't figure out who I am outside this person. The me who never felt like enough. The me who waited for nothing but lies and disappointments. What a feeling to finally let go, and start over.

I am so grateful that the Lord has given me an opportunity to go home and start over.

This is the question I get asked like 19837498723 times a day, so here's the answer:

What are you doing when you get back???

1. Work on getting the photography ministry rolling. I was going to call it "window of hope ministries" but googled it and it's already taken. Hmm. I guess I'll have to keep thinking on that one. Basically, the ultimate goal is to teach full time during the year, and on summer break take trips for the ministry.
2. Get certified to teach in the State of Tejas. (Who knew this would cost a whopping $5000... EEK! I guess that's what I saved in Korea for!) It's a 6 month program, and I am wanting to get the early childhood general certification, and I'm going to go ahead and get my ESL certification while I'm at it since that's what I'm experienced in. Hey, what's another 2 tests right?
3. Hopefully get a teaching aide position somewhere near Keller. My resume, letter of interest, and letters of recommendation have been sent out to about 50 Elementary schools in Keller ISD, Carroll ISD, and HEBISD. Please pray that I get a job! It would be really awesome if I could get one in a preK class, but I'll take what I can get gratefully!
4. Revisit Spanish. Who knew that these days half the teaching jobs in the metroplex require you to be billingual??? Plus, you get paid more if you know Spanish. I gotta get crackin on those verbs!

That's the plan right now, professionally. Personally, the plan is to get lots of sun at the lake, bake and cook all the things I've desperately wanted to make here but couldn't, spend lots of time with my grandparents, love on my dear friends and family, get involved at IBC again, and repair the relationships that might've suffered while I've been away these past 18 months.

God is so good for getting me through all of this and giving me a fresh start. I can't wait to join all of you back in America in about 3 weeks!

16 days until I'm in Hawaii with my dear family :)

Goodness I started packing the stuff I hadn't packed yet, and it's going to be rather nightmarish trying to get it all home. Looks like I'm just going to have to buy a new wardrobe when I get home. Sounds terrible! haha.

Enjoy your week, and try not to miss me too much.

If you're bored here's a song by my fav Korean pop, girl group 2ne1....CLICK HERE

Also, this is probably my favorite Korean pop artist, Taeyang (member of Big Bang) he's super talented and oh so sexy... haha... CLICK HERE

4 comments:

allye said...

I still read! I'm glad you're coming home, and glad that you learned so much while you were in Korea. You're amazing. Enjoy Hawaii.

mandy said...

hey! which teacher program are you going through? Matt (my husband) did a program which took a year but was ALL online and you work while you are in the "class" to get certified. Then, they take a couple hundred dollars out of your paycheck each month instead of paying a giant upfront fee to be certified as a teacher. Its called iTeachTexas... have you heard of it?

Anyways - just wanted to throw that out there...

Hope you are doing well. did you even know that i blog stalk you?!? ;)

Mark C said...

Home sweet home! SWEET! You've done well in the far east. Very proud of your time there. Glad we got to come visit. Now that was cool! Sounds like the new chapter has some good plans. We'll see you soon! YEA! PAPA

Joanne said...

Ash, so proud of you and what God has allowed you to learn. This will be an experience you will remember the rest of your life. Excited to see what the next chapter holds for you! Love you and can't wait to see you in Maui!!! Yea! Mom